Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To glove or not to glove, that is the question.



As Margaret Atwood once said:

 "In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." 

 I think one of the best feelings in the world is plunging my bare hands into the fresh Spring dirt. Ahhh; my mind is instantly filled with visions, ideas and plans. I can almost taste that first eagerly picked yet barely ripe tomato. Gloveless I can feel the moisture in the soil, too soggy or too dry?  Is it full of clay or too sandy? A soil test and perhaps a trip to the garden center? (Oh no not that!) On any spring day I can look at my hands and see the labor of my work that has ground into my fingers and  trapped deeply under my fingernails. It's because of this that almost every year my husband buys me garden gloves and every time I lose at least one of them. Of course it’s not intentional, but you would think that by now he would just give up and let me play in the dirt the way dirt is intended to be played with. What are your thoughts? Do you glove up or dig in?

No comments:

Post a Comment