Wednesday, October 12, 2011

When I grow up I want to be a farmer!

I remember at 16 listening to my Mom and her friends talk about what they wanted to be when they grew up. At the time they were in their early forty's and to me they were grown up. But now I completely "get" what they were talking about. Now that I am in my forty's I have had  similar conversations with myself.

What am I going to be when I grow up?
What do I want to do with the rest of my life?

How do I get started?

I have discovered that the time to think about this is now, and the time to start making plans is now.  When I realized that in my physical condition that I wouldn't last long running a small farm, I joined the gym. Am I any fitter that I was 3 months ago? I would like to think so and I do feel better about myself.  I also started doing research on small farms and sustainable living and now subscribe to a few magazines, two of the most helpful to me is Mother Earth News and Grit magazine. Both of which have loads of information on sustainable living, "how to" instructions and a great blog section. Dave and I did a bit of canning this year, and can't wait to have a bigger garden and more produce to put up in future years. It's also nice to have something we can do together.


What do you want to be when you grow up? Is it a radical change from what you are doing now? Is it something you have always dreamed of doing? I would be interested in hearing how you are planning your grown-up years!

No comments:

Post a Comment